NaganiansOnline

To connect Naganians in the Town, Naganians OFW and Balikbayans all over the world.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Happy Fiesta Naganians 10th October 2014 - Viva St. Francis de Assisi !! Long live NAGANIANS!!
NaganiansOnline Team are pleased to announce that your forum is now optimized for browsing via mobile phones. We're still in the beta version of the feature, however you can now browse your forum using your smartphones. Click here for more information
Visit the new founded CAD Brothers "D Amazing Game Fowl" follow this link http://cadbrothers.multiply.com
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Cebu Weather Forecast
Forecast for Cebu City
NaganiansOnline

Share | 

2008 NBA playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reed

PostSubject: 2008 NBA playoffs   Mon May 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Spurs pick up crucial home win in Game 3

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Manu Ginobili struggled for two games and it seemed he might not have anything left. A sore ankle, a ripped fingernail and plenty of missed shots. All the while, he insisted he would step up for the San Antonio Spurs.

He kept his promise on Sunday night. And nobody on either team was surprised.
"He is such a competitor," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after Ginobili scored 30 points to lead the Spurs to a 103-84 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals. "He puts so much on his shoulders, he fights through a lot of things. ... He's got a lot of confidence in what he can do.

"And so when he has these games, it is really not a surprise anymore."

Ginobili hit five of the Spurs' 10 3-pointers and got to the rim a few times to keep the defending champions from falling into an 0-3 hole, which no NBA team has ever overcome.

"I was too stagnant in the first two games," said Ginobili, the league's top sixth man who came off the bench on Sunday. "I didn't feel like I was being me. ... I made the first shots. I felt good. And then it was easier for me."

The Lakers lead the series 2-1. Game 4 is Tuesday in San Antonio.

Tim Duncan had 22 points, 21 rebounds and five assists, and Tony Parker added 20 points and five assists for the Spurs, who remained unbeaten at home this postseason.

Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 30 points and Pau Gasol scored 15.

"It's a good experience for us to play against the defending champs and have them kick our butts the way they did," Bryant said. "I think we grew up a lot tonight."

Lamar Odom struggled all night, finishing 2-of-11 from the field for seven points. But he had six of the Lakers' 13 assists and 11 rebounds.

"On me personally it definitely snowballed," Odom said. "That happens, but sometimes I'd rather go out swinging than being passive. It was just one of those nights."

The Lakers also struggled at the free throw line, going just 8-of-17. Bryant went to the line only once.

On Sunday, the Spurs got a lead midway through the second quarter and never looked back, despite a late surge from Bryant.

The Spurs had squandered a 20-point lead to lose Game 1 in Los Angeles and the Lakers routed them in Game 2.

"They were energized and they played with a lot more emotion, a lot more energy than we did," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "They were quicker to the ball. And it was quite obvious at times."

Up 69-57 entering the fourth, the Spurs opened with a 12-4 run, and Parker's layup gave them a 20-point lead with a little over 8 minutes to play.

Then Bryant did what Bryant does: almost single-handedly pulled his team out of the hole. He hit four 3-pointers over the course of less than 2 1/2 minutes and his last one brought the Lakers within 88-76 with 5 minutes to play.

But the Lakers would get no closer, not when the Spurs' title defense would be all but ruined with a Game 3 loss.

Duncan answered with a three-point play to put the Spurs back up by 15 and not long after Brent Barry's steal that resulted in a three-point play for Ginobili made it 97-78 with 3:26 to go.

Reserve Jordan Farmar scored 10 points for the Lakers.

In the first half, Parker was penetrating the paint, but Ginobili was the big key for the Spurs. He had 22 points at the break - more than the 17 he scored in Games 1 and 2 combined. And whether or not his injured left ankle was bothering him, he didn't need it to explode to the basket because he hit 3 after 3.

After Bryant's driving dunk past Duncan with 4:57 left in the first quarter put the Lakers up 15-8, Ginobili hit back-to-back 3s from the same spot on the wing to get the Spurs within a point.

"He bounced back the way I thought he would," Bryant said. "He is a phenomenal player and he had a spectacular first half."

He didn't stop in the second quarter.

His second of back-to-back 3s 4 1/2 minutes in put the Spurs up 33-30, giving his team the lead for good. Then he got to the rim about 30 seconds later and was fouled. His free throw made it 36-32.

The Lakers struggled in the second quarter - turning the ball over early in the period on a shot-clock violation, missing free throws and shooting 7-of-17 from the field - and the Spurs pulled away.

Ginobili hit his fifth 3 of the night as the shot clock expired with less than a minute left in the first half. The Spurs outscored the Lakers 28-15 in the second quarter for a 49-39 lead at the break.

Odom was 1-of-7 from the field in the first half and guard Derek Fisher was scoreless.

Odom didn't fare any better in the third, and Gasol and Bryant combined for just 10 points as Spurs' defender Bruce Bowen continued to hound this year's league MVP.

Ginobili cooled in the third quarter - when the Spurs went up by as many as 13 - just as Duncan got hot. Duncan's two jump shots with less than two minutes to play, plus Ginobili's drive that showed he can still get to the rim, gave the Spurs a 12-point lead heading into the fourth.

"I don't feel like my last step is as strong as probably a couple months ago, but it's not a big issue," Ginobili said. "I mean, I think I can still finish."

Notes
The Spurs last lost at home on April 9 to Phoenix . San Antonio eliminated the Suns in the first round in five games. ... Fisher got a technical foul with 4:45 left in the third quarter just after teammate Vladimir Radmanovic hit a layup to bring the Lakers within eight. ... In a dig at Bryant, the crowd chanted "M-V-P" when Duncan went to the line late in the fourth quarter. ... Ginobili got a standing ovation from the crowd when he went to the bench with 2:56 to play. ... Fisher finished with two points on 1-of-4 shooting. ... The Spurs hit 10 3s, the Lakers hit six.

Follow this link:
NBA PlayOffs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brendonval
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Sa game 1 one ani. I tot na pildi na gyud ang Lakers ky lubong until 2nd quarter. sus, napungasi si Bryant. mao ni daug. Now, home court sa Spurs. pildi napod ang Lakers. Sa game 4 kinsa kaha modaug? Home court gihapon sa Spurs. Excited to watch. Very Happy

Reed

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 am

Bryant leads Lakers to Game 4 win

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Kobe Bryant looked back and found himself all alone. All but guaranteed the basket, he went up and slammed the ball with a little extra oomph, just for good measure.

One more win, and Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers will be all alone in the Western Conference and on their way to the NBA finals.

The Lakers beat the San Antonio Spurs 93-91 on Tuesday night—surviving a last-second 3-point attempt that would have given the Spurs the win—for a 3-1 lead in the conference finals.

“It is a big step for us,” said Bryant, who led the Lakers with 28 points and 10 rebounds. “Tonight we came out and did a much, much better job to win in this building in this particular game. It’s big for us.”

The defending champion Spurs lost at home for the first time this postseason and they face elimination when they play Game 5 in Los Angeles on Thursday.

The Lakers were last in the finals in 2004 when they lost to Detroit in five games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Odom, who was upset with his Game 3 performance, scored 16 points, eight in the fourth quarter, for Los Angeles, while Pau Gasol had 10 points and 10 rebounds and Vladimir Radmanovic added 11 points.

“I just stayed composed. I kept my poise,” Odom said. “I just stayed tough, told myself it was a long game.”

Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 29 points and 17 rebounds, while reserve Brent Barry had 23 points and his last-second 3-point attempt could have given the Spurs the win.

Barry and the Spurs brushed off talk that he was fouled on the play by Lakers guard Derek Fisher.

“That’s not going to get called in the Western Conference finals,” Barry said. “Maybe in the regular season. But that call shouldn’t be called in the Western Conference finals.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said: “If I was the official I wouldn’t have called that a foul.”

Fisher said he “never thought they would blow a whistle.”

“I think we met simultaneously, and there was contact for sure,” Fisher said. “But I don’t think I ran through him.”

The Lakers opened the game on a 22-8 run and never trailed. The Spurs got within 81-79 in the fourth quarter, but the Lakers scored seven straight points.

“I told them at the end of the ballgame, their energy was terrific,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “Coming out and responding to a loss and getting a lead … and playing with that kind of energy, I think, carried us over and we responded every time that they came in, tied the ballgame.”

Tony Parker added 23 points for the Spurs, who tied the game five times.

The Spurs shot 40 percent (30-of-75) from the field and the Lakers shot nearly 45 percent (38-of-85).

With the Lakers up 93-86 and 50 seconds to play, Gasol missed two free throws.

Manu Ginobili, who had struggled all night, hit a 3-pointer to bring the Spurs within four. After a miss by Bryant, Parker scored on a fast break when Odom was called for goaltending, bringing the Spurs within 93-91 with 28 seconds to play.

Fisher missed a shot for Los Angeles but the ball went out of bounds and remained in the Lakers’ possession with 2 seconds on the shot clock.

Bryant missed a jumper and the Spurs had 2.1 seconds left. When Barry’s 3 missed, Bryant pumped his fists in the air and the Lakers were headed home in command of the series.

“Obviously we’re in a hole and it’s 3-1,” Duncan said. “It’s one loss and an elimination, but we really feel that if we clean a lot of this stuff up we have an opportunity to get right back in this series.”

The Lakers were up 77-70 heading into the fourth quarter. Barry’s 3 brought the Spurs within 77-75 and his running jumper got them to 79-77.

Odom’s dunk started the 7-0 run, then his layup balanced on the rim before falling in, and he hit a free throw for a three-point play. Bryant stole the ball for a slam to put the Lakers up 88-79 with 3:29 to play.

Parker got the Spurs within five, then Odom hit two free throws to put the Lakers back up by seven with just under a minute to play.

Los Angeles came out with energy and took advantage of sloppy play by the Spurs to lead by as many as 14 points in the first quarter.

The Lakers dominated the offensive glass, racking up 20 second-chance points in the first half off their 11 offensive rebounds.

Odom highlighted the Lakers’ aggressiveness. Early in the first quarter he missed a shot, then suddenly appeared under the basket to grab the rebound and was fouled, making both free throws.

San Antonio was within 28-23 at the end of the opening period.

In the second quarter the Lakers got into foul trouble and San Antonio made the most of it at the free throw line. The Spurs were 17-of-17 in the first half as Odom, Fisher and reserves Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic all picked up their third fouls.

Duncan’s jumper tied the game at 45 with 2:10 left in the half. After Luke Walton missed a free throw and a chance for a three-point play with 23 seconds left, Radmanovic chased down the ball and Bryant converted to give the Lakers a 53-47 halftime lead.

It was more of the same in the third. The Spurs tied it twice but never took a lead.

Tied at 67, Bryant took the long pass from Odom and dunked the ball with flash and flair, drawing resounding boos from the crowd. Another dunk by Bryant made it 73-70 before Vujacic was fouled hitting a 3-pointer from the corner. He made the free throw to give Los Angeles a 77-70 lead with one quarter to go.

Notes

Joe Crawford, who has a history with the Spurs and had an on-court squabble with Popovich during the conference semifinals, officiated the game. … Spurs legend David Robinson sat in the second row courtside. He was surrounded by Lakers fans wearing bright yellow jerseys. … Ginobili got his first points of the game with 1:32 left in the third quarter on two free throws. He finished with seven points, 23 less than he had in Game 3. … The Lakers outrebounded the Spurs 46-37 and finished with a 26-4 advantage on second-chance points. … Bryant didn’t get to the free throw line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jannarcher

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 am

so ang ilang standing ron 3, 1 lead by lakers.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://naganians.tripod.com
Reed

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Sat May 31, 2008 11:17 am

Weeee.

Napildi na diay ang Spurs sa Lakers.
Then, napildi pod ang Pistons sa Celtics.

So, ang mag abot ky Celtics and Lakers will meet in the NBA Finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jannarcher

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Sat May 31, 2008 11:18 am

Hala. bag-o ni na recipe ah.

New rivalry in NBA History.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://naganians.tripod.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 NBA playoffs   Today at 12:12 pm

Back to top Go down

2008 NBA playoffs